Friday, September 6, 2013

The Craft of Printing

It's not often that I get to be part of a hand-made book--if you don't count the comic books I drew when I was a tween. I'm pleased to be one of the poets featured in a small book that visitors can put together at the Kerrytown BookFest--check out the August 21st entry on their Facebook page to see the cover you can print. The festival emphasizes the craft of the book, and the poetry project is a hands-on way to become part of that craft.

My grandfather was art director of a color printing firm, as well as a watercolorist and printmaker, with a Ben Franklin press in his basement. He helped his grandchildren produce their own prints on it. I printed a portrait etching, and a woodcut of Aesop's fox and grapes. I have some of Grandpa's woodcuts, and I think his "B. Franklin, Printer" proof would be right at home at the festival.

For an overview of the Kerrytown BookFest, here's an article from annarbor.com.